Interview with Y&T: Fashion Designer Yuka O
1. When/why was Y&T founded?
Y&T started with the intention of raising funds for the tragic earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Fashion is what I love and know – so naturally this is what I could contribute to make this happen. My husband Tristan and I worked on our first range with all the proceeds going to aid. Yuka&Tristan was founded in 2011, April.
2. Where do you get your inspiration?
Anything that gets me interested at any given time, which then becomes my inspiration/concept to develop the range – architecture, paint, books, design, music etc. Also, I deal with very beautiful fabric – I often get inspired by that too.
3. Have you always loved fashion?
Yes. Always. x
4. What is your go to magazine?
I love Japanese fashion Magazines: Ginza, Fudge Internatinal – The Gentle Woman, Numero, Vogue NZ – Home
5. Have you had any Y&T collections in ‘NZ Fashion Week’ or offshore catwalk? Future plans?
I haven’t thought about doing catwalk into NZ fashion week yet – however I’d definitely love to experience this, if the opportunity arose. I have some exciting news to be revealed soon… (but can’t tell yet) so please stay tuned ! via /yukaandtristan – facebook / @Yuka&Tristan – twitter / #yooksasyuka – instagram
6. Who would you (really) like to wear your brand?
7. Any influences?
Yoji Yamamoto, Kenzo
8. Are you living your ‘dream-job’?
Yes, Although It’s a really tough business – I feel super lucky to do what I love. Big thanks to my husband.
9. When it comes to chocolate -Cadbury or Whittakers?
Whittakers – I choose by label 🙂
10. What makes you smile?
My young children who try to tell me stories about their (daily) adventures, mostly about their school endeavours – those cute explanations are the most gorgeous of things.